Disasters happen anytime and anywhere. And when disaster strikes, you may not have much time to respond.
At a minimum, have the basic supplies listed below. Keep supplies in an easytocarry emergency preparedness kit that you can use at home or take with you in case you must evacuate.
- First aid manual
- Warm blankets/survival blanketsFood/bottled water (enough for three days)Multipurpose tool
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- Soap, liquid detergent
- Feminine supplies
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Extra keys to your house and vehicle
- Important papers
- Wills/powers of attorney
- Insurance policies
- Credit card numbers and expiry dates
- Citizenship papers/passports/
- birth and marriage certificates
- Mortgage and other
- loan information
- Social insurance numbers
- Eye glass/contact lens prescriptions
- Medication identification numbers
- Cheques and money
- Doctor’s name and contact information
- in case of emergency treatment
- Contact list with emergency
- phone numbers
- Driver’s licence number
- Health card numbers
- Copy of driver’s license
- Bank account numbers
- Contact information for power, light, gas or other utility companies
Update your emergency preparedness kit regularly.
Make sure everyone knows where to find your disaster supply kit and Go-bags.
Determine the best escape routes from your home.
Try to identify two escape routes.Locate the gas main and other utilitiesand
make sure family members know when and how to turn them off.Teach each member of your family how to use a fire extinguisher.